Monday, March 21, 2011

dedicated to...

Today I said goodbye to my grandmom. I had just a few moments to say to her what she meant to me. It was over the phone.
I won't ever get to talk to her again. I won't ever get to hug her or spend time with her again. She had very suddenly fallen ill Saturday and is gone. It is, in my humble opinion, too soon.
What do you say to someone you have loved your whole life who is about to leave her earthly body?
How can I sum up the wonderful way she enriched my life in just a few short moments?
Maybe I should have told her that I admired her strength and her honesty. That I will never forget the long conversation we shared over weekly coffee and cinnamon bread at the diner. Maybe I should have thanked her for the way she opened up to me about love, life, and God at her kitchen table late that one night. Or maybe I should have thanked her for her complete sacrifice of herself in order to care for everyone else in her life. But all I could do was tell her I love her and that I'll always love her.
She was smart and tough and was also loving, caring, and nurturing.
I thought I had at least 10 more years with her and I am devastated that I don't.
This entry is dedicated to my grandmom Peggy, a beautiful soul that will be missed tremendously.
Love,
Jackie

2 comments:

  1. She sounds like a beautiful woman, Jackie...thanks for sharing. I lost my grandpa suddenly at the end of 2009 (and by suddenly I mean he was found in his house), so I can definitely empathize with the shock/surreality of it all. I'll say a prayer for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick. I didn't expect to feel this way. Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete